Silicone hose is a popular choice for auto applications due to its flexibility, durability, and heat resistance. Whether you need silicone reducers, humps, or straight hose, there are a few key things to consider when choosing silicone hose for your vehicle.
Silicone Hose Reducers
Silicone reducers are used to connect hoses of different diameters. They have an internally tapered design so the inner diameter gradually decreases, allowing for a smooth transition between hoses. Silicone reducers are normally sold in pairs with opposite tapers. When choosing silicone reducers, consider:
- Inner diameter – Make sure the inner diameter at each end matches your hoses. Silicone reducers typically come in ID sizes from 1/4″ to 2″ and up.
- Temperature range – Higher temperature silicone can withstand temperatures up to 500°F. Regular silicone reducers are rated for intermittent temperatures up to 300°F.
- Thread type – Some reducers have npt threads, others have barbed ends to connect to hose clamps. Choose the appropriate style for your application.
Silicone Hump Hose
A silicone hump hose has a contoured shape, often used to create a kink-free bend in hard-to-reach areas. Hump hoses come in many different shapes to accommodate a variety of routing needs. When selecting a silicone hump hose, consider:
- Inside diameter – Typically 1/2″ to 2″ ID but choose the size that matches your system.
- Temperature range – Look for silicone rated for the highest temperatures your system may reach.
- Universal fit – Some silicone hump hoses have expanded internal shapes to fit a wider range of tube or hose sizes.
Straight Silicone Hose
For simple, straight hose connections, silicone offers durability and flexibility. Consider the following when choosing straight silicone hose:
- Ports – Does your system use barbed or threaded ports? Choose hose with the matching connector style.
- Crush resistance – Higher durometer silicone hose (Shore A 75 and up) offers better crush resistance for high pressure applications.
- Ultraviolet resistance – Select silicone hose that is formulated to resist UV degradation from sun exposure.
With the right silicone hose for your specific needs, you can create reliable, long-lasting hose connections for many auto silicone hose applications. Choose high quality silicone hose from a reputable manufacturer to ensure optimal performance in your vehicle’s fluid system.