If you’re looking to boost your engine’s performance and durability, installing a set of silicone hoses can make a huge difference. Car silicone hose kits are rapidly becoming one of the most popular engine upgrades for all types of vehicles. Read on to learn why car enthusiasts are choosing silicone hose kits and how they can transform your engine.
What Are Silicone Hoses?
Silicone hoses are, as the name suggests, hoses made from silicone rubber. They are used to replace the factory rubber hoses that connect various components in the engine. Some common hoses that are upgraded to silicone include:
- Radiator hoses
- Heater hoses
- Turbocharger hoses
- Air intake hoses
- Crankcase ventilation hoses
Silicone offers superior heat resistance compared to standard rubber hoses. It can withstand continuous temperatures up to 260°C, whereas rubber hoses start to degrade at around 105°C. This makes silicone ideal for hoses near hot engine components.
Silicone is also very flexible and strong. It resists kinking, cracking, and abrasion far better than regular rubber. This improves durability and prevents failures like coolant leaks or collapsing intake hoses.
Benefits Of Silicone Hose Kits
Installing a full silicone hose kit provides many advantages:
- Increased engine temperature control. The high heat tolerance keeps coolant flowing efficiently.
- Reduced risk of failures. Silicone resists wear, cracks, and leaks much longer.
- Improved throttle response. Silicone intake hoses minimize heat transfer and turbulence.
- Higher boost pressure. Turbocharger hoses won’t collapse under boost.
- Extended service life. Silicone can last upwards of 100,000 miles with proper maintenance.
- Enhanced aesthetics. Silicone hoses look great with their vibrant colors and clean finishes.
Silicone Hose Options
There are many options when shopping for silicone hose kits:
- Complete kits replace all major coolant and intake hoses for a comprehensive upgrade. These are available for most popular import and domestic models.
- Partial kits cover only certain sections like the radiator or heater. This allows a lower cost upgrade focused on the most important hoses.
- Turbo kits include all silicone pipes connecting the turbocharger, intercooler, and intake system. This maximizes turbo performance.
- Individual hoses can be purchased to replace any specific rubber hoses as needed. Take time inspecting your engine bay to identify potential upgrades.
- Various colors are available – black, blue, red, neon green, etc. Pick something subtle or make a bold statement. Just ensure the inner wall remains black to prevent algae growth.
Proper installation is critical to realize the benefits of silicone hoses. Here are some tips:
- Carefully inspect existing hoses and identify any that are cracked, dry, and deteriorated. These must be replaced.
- Use high quality clamps sized appropriately for each hose. This prevents leaks and blow-offs.
- Check clearances around nearby components. Silicone is thicker than rubber so tight bends may need adjustment.
- Ensure hoses are routed properly without sharp angles or kinks which could cause flow restrictions.
Take your time and don’t force anything. With good preparation, silicone hose kits can transform the performance and appearance of any engine. The durability improvements also make them a smart preventative maintenance upgrade for high-mileage vehicles. For engine bay upgrades with meaningful real-world benefits, silicone hoses should be at the top of your mod list.